Skip to main content

tv   Inside Politics  CNN  November 17, 2017 9:00am-10:00am PST

9:00 am
>> that's collie sweeney and you can vote for him or any other hero now. cnnheroes.com. thanks so much for joining me. inside politics with dana bash starts now. >> welcome to inside politics. i'm dana bash. john king is off. sexual harassment allegations consume capitol hill as roy moore and his family push back and dig in. al franken's political future is up in the air. his accuser said that decision is up to his constituents. >> i didn't do this to have him step down. i think he does a lot of good things in the senate. that's for the people of minnesota to decide. >> in the halls of congress, they are reminiscent of the bill clinton years. some democrats say the way their
9:01 am
party dealt with misconduct allegations is coming back to haunt them. >> i wish it was over and the country would move on. >> have any of the four of you say these allegations must be addressed soon? >> no. no. >> the house had a big victory on tax reform, but the senate bill is in trouble. they said it would raise taxes on american families. >> you will admit now for the sake of this discussion that some americans under this republican plan will be paying more in taxes, correct? >> there will be people who make more than $1 million in high tax states that will be paying more. >> if you at home are feeling a bit overwhelmed by the cascade of consequential news this week, you are not alone. even for the trump era high
9:02 am
volume environment, it has been remarkable. sexual assault against two politicians, republican and democrat embattled roy moore standing his ground defiant in the face of at least seven accusers, several of whom were teenager when is they say moore harassed or assaulted them. the democratic senator accused yesterday of groping and forcibly kissing a woman in 2006, expressing remorse and welcoming an ethics investigation. robert menendez is facing a robe, but believe it or not, that's good news for him because it means he is still in the senate. since his federal corruption trial ended in a mistrial with a deadlocked jury. plus house republicans pushed through the first major tax reform legislation in decades and a senate committee approved their version with lots of shouting and don't forget, fireworks between attorney general jeff sessions and the house judiciary committee over
9:03 am
forgetting and remembering campaign discussions about contact with russians. before you all catch your breath, a reminder that it's only noon eastern on friday. a lot still could happen. here to share their reporting and insights on this wild week, it's probably your best coping mechanisms at this point. cnn and your first from politico. abby philipps. hi, everybody. >> hard to believe that jeff sessions was actually this week. >> i can think of three or four other stories. >> i literally ran out of breath. we are waiting for kayla moore who is attending a press conference defending her husband, roy moore. we are waiting for her remarks. i want to start with you, mj. you have been all over this story of sexual harassment and misconduct in the halls of
9:04 am
congress. how would you describe the atmosphere right now? >> i think there is a lot of tension right now. rightfully so. with this woman coming out yesterday and accusing al franken of having done these things, really disturbing things in 2006. the thing that a lot of folks are wondering, is this just the beginning? are there other victims who are in their homes watching leanne tweeden tell her story and think i experienced something similar maybe years ago. maybe until now i thought it was too long ago or i couldn't speak out and didn't have the courage. are there people like that who are now going to feel emboldened and the courage they needed to speak out and say this is a member of congress or a former member of congress who did this to me? when you talk to folks on capitol hill, there is a reason there is such a thing as the creep list. it's because these members -- it's unofficial? >> the unofficial not written
9:05 am
list. openly talk about the members of congress who are well-known for having bad reputations. there is a reason that they are on that list. it's because they tend to behave this way repeatedly and they do these things not just once or twice, but all the time. consistently. >> let's talk about the president's late night tweet storm. he tweeted about al franken and i will put up two tweets. the al franken stein picture is really bad. speaks a thousand words. where do his hands go in pictures two, three, four, five, & to think he was lecturing anyone who would listen about sexual harassment and respect for women. referring to when he was at snl. franken wrote a script or
9:06 am
proposed a script about rape leslie stahl. this is trumpian in many ways, but in the context of the fact that he has not said a word, not tweeted a letter about roy moore. >> three things are really weird about that tweet starting with the fact that he talks about where his hands were going rather than actually showing sympathy for the victim in this picture on that kind of creepy and strange. the picture he decided to paint. the second thing is, there is a senate candidate in alabama who is credibly accused of pedophilia and he has not addressed that issue at all. it's hard to say one sexual assault is worse than another, but most people think pedophilia is about the evil crime someone could commit. finally, he is himself credibly accused of sexually assaulting
9:07 am
women and arguably admitted as much on tape in the famous "access hollywood" tape. al franken is surprising given the fact that he has not dealt with the allegations except to say that they are all untrue. >> it's hard to believe that somehow the president would not have heard of what was going on with roy moore and he would have absolutely no intention of commenting on it whatsoever. the president comments on literally everything. literally everything under the sun. i think the white house is in an untenable position where trump's silence for the position. this type of behavior to deal with the consequences of it.
9:08 am
is an apology sufficient? is it better that his victim has accepted that apology or does it not matter at all? what do we want president trump to do about his accusers? do we want him to acknowledge and apologize for whatever it is? i think we don't really know how we want people to react. some people are saying al franken should resign and some say donald trump should resign. who is the remedy here? >> there is no clear cut answer and every situation is different and they obviously have different opinions about each. before we move on, i do want to talk about what you mentioned. the question of why the president tweeted about al franken and not said anything about roy moore. here's how his counsellor kellyanne conway explained that. >> al franken was a brand-new
9:09 am
story yesterday and the president weighed in as he does on the news of the day, often enough. the roy moore story is eight days old and he put out a statement from asia with that. he believes the people of alabama will sort out what to do with roy moore and that election. >> if this were barack obama or george w. bush or the more traditional presidents, i would buy that. as you said, donald trump was asked like three times yesterday by reporters and he pretty clearly heard them and kept walking. again, he has his twitter feed 100%. >> politics behind this. they want to go after or talk about al franken because he is a democrat and that goes further for them politically. listen. i think on capitol hill, it's not just the trump administration. when the house tax bill when all
9:10 am
this was blowing up. they were saying a lot of senators on the hill didn't want to comment on al franken until he came out and said i'm willing to be investigated and i'm sorry. then they were willing to talk about it. they also didn't want to come out beforehand. i think that speaks to the sort of culture that we see on capitol hill where there are powerful individuals and young women who are afraid to come out and when they speak out, it could ruin their careers. this is happening everywhere. >> the fact that you mentioned that, it is notable. members of congress are saying that too. not just women, but men. ted deutsch of florida. all of these others that are one in six women in america claim to
9:11 am
have been sexually harassed in the workplace. it's not just congress and we need to do more. this is a moment of reckoning. >> that's the feeling in the hall of congress? is there a moment of reckons or a fear factor which is why all of this has been suppressed? for years and years and years. >> there is a little bit of skepticism about whether the floodgates are about to open. for the first time the woman came out and spoke on the record and she is obviously naming al franken and going into vivid detail about what it is that he did. we haven't yet seen a number of other people say this is something that i have experienced. i'm not sure if that moment is coming and i don't know if that moment can come until there is a
9:12 am
real recognition and real change on capitol hill in terms of culturally how the institution deals with sexual harassment cases and complaints and legislatively, if lawmakers take it upon themselves to say this is such a problem that we have to change. >> i'm sorry to interrupt you. kayla moore is speaking, the wife of roy moore. let's listen. >> we are in a battle. who knew? thank you for your prayers. thank you for your messages and your phone calls. i'm so sorry i can't get to them all. we have just been inundated can so much positive response from the people of alabama. for the record, it's about 90% positive and most of the negative is from out of state. the people of alabama understand
9:13 am
what's going on here. my husband, judge roy moore is fighting for the people of alabama and has been fighting for over 30 years. the people of alabama know him. they have seen what he has done. fighting for life. fighting against abortion and for god and for traditional marriage and for the second amendment and our rights given by god, protected by our constitution. so "the washington post" who endorsed hillary clinton and also endorsed our opponent gets involved in this race along with the human rights campaign, the dnc and the washington establishment. all of the very same people who were attacking president trump
9:14 am
are also attacking us. i personally think he owes us. >> have you noticed you are not hearing too much about russia? i would say now is a good time to get things done in congress. while they are down here trying to distract the opponent who was an obama delegate who is for full term abortion and more gun restrictions, who is for transgender bathrooms and for transgender in the military is against everything we in alabama believe and stand for. "the washington post" just called everybody i have ever known for the last 40 years.
9:15 am
they have called everybody my husband has known. they print whatever anyone says without checking to even see if it is correct. they have staked out the county and basically counts out. to the end of this election, such that the people of alabama thank you for being smarter than they think you are. they will call you names and say all manner of evil against you and i would say consider the source. i have been married to my husband for over 32 years. he was a graduate of west point and served our country in vietnam and he has always been an officer and a item. he is a loving father and a
9:16 am
grandfather. most important, he is a christian. let me set the record straight. even after the attacks against me and my family and against the foundation and now against my husband, he will not step down. he will not stop fighting for the people of alabama. in his words and i quote, i will not stop until they lay me in that box in the ground. thank you for being here and god bless alabama and the united states of america.
9:17 am
>> you are listening to kayla moore, the wife of republican senate candidate roy moore and gave a passionate defense of her husband. a big -- i would say fair to say attack of the "washington post" and the media and her husband's political opponent she said are unfairly accusing him of sexual assault and misconduct. i will bring it back around the table to say it's about seven, at this point, women who are giving very detailed accounts of the way they say he mistreated him. in terms of the politics here, that's going to play very well with the people who are already angry about the washington establishment and the washington media and people around the country trying to tell people in alabama how to vote.
9:18 am
>> you can see the strategy. roy moore is a conservative and that's all that matters. abortion matters and the second amendment matters and transgender bathrooms matter. it's not about the accusations necessarily. i think the argument. >> it's about the alternative. >> the alternative is not what you want. that being said, there is polling out there and i want to take this with a grain of salt because i think it's too early to know, but it indicates if there is a shift against moore, it's not because alabama voters are 100% believing every one of these women, but maybe they don't think that these kinds of allegations should be how they are represented in washington. i think that's the x factor we need to look out for and see if that makes a difference. does it matter whether or not they believe these women? >> i was watching this and i was
9:19 am
thinking about if he does make it to washington. that defiance that you saw on the screen with him as a candidate and being supported by his wife saying similar things. we are not stepping down. these are lies and the liberal media and this is the washington establishment. senate republicans are going to have quite a time here with him if he makes it to the senate. they are trying to get tax reform pass and they will have to do say spending deal in a couple of weeks. daca has to be fixed by march. in the middle of this, they will be talking about potentially expelling him that will suck up all the oxygen in washington and distract from what they want to do legislatively. >> and being in a strange position of if they go forward with an expulsion process, the voters of alabama know all of this information. the senate republicans would be arguing even though these facts were known and just won his
9:20 am
election, they think he should be expelled. you can understand expulsion has a process when you learn something about a senator that voters didn't know. he will if he wins just have been elected and they will take this if they fall through. >> i was going to say, he just kind of maps out every possible out come from this special election and none of them actually is good for the republican party. the democrat winning is really devastating for the party. if roy moore wins, as rachel was saying, a republican has to contend with the fact that they have this figure joining the ranks and if they decide to go with the root of potentially expelling him, that is going to bring complete chaos on the party when they are really, really stroug struggling to get things done. >> at the same time many people in congress obviously by their actions believe critical to the party to continue to separate
9:21 am
themselves from roy moore. everybody stand by. up next, the white house ambassador to congress is live right here on inside politics. directv has been rated number one in customer satisfaction over cable for 17 years running. but some people still like cable. just like some people like wet grocery bags. getting a bad haircut. overcrowded trains. turnstiles that don't turn. and spilling coffee on themselves. but for everyone else, there's directv. for #1 rated customer satisfaction over cable, switch to directv. and for a limited time get a $100 reward card. call 1-800-directv
9:22 am
9:23 am
9:24 am
9:25 am
>> welcome back. accusations of sexual harassment of twisting both parties in knots. candidate roy moore and minnesota's al franken. moore insists he is innocent and franken said he is not. speaking up for assault victims and wonder if a picture that appears to show franken appearing to grab a woman's chest. he said the picture is really bad and speaks a thousand words. he tweeted where do his hands go in pictures two, three, four, five and while she sleeps?
9:26 am
mark, we are going to talk about tax reform. >> can't wait. >> i'm sure you can't. let's start with that. he is basically accusing al franken of being a hypocrite. is the president not being a hypocri hypocrite? tweeting about al franken and saying nothing about the republican, roy moore? >> no, i think quite the opposite. the president has a lot of consternation from the media and a little short-term memory. the president campaigned against roy moore. he campaigned for luther strange. the president was active in this campaign. he chose a different candidate. where we are since the allegations, the president even when he was traveling overseas put out a statement saying if the allegations are true, he should step aside. the president has been clear on this. we have to trust the people of alabama to make the right decision. everyone wants to decide for them. the president weighed in and it's now up to them to make a decision. >> that's a very different line than we are hearing from the
9:27 am
republican leadership in the united states senate. they think he should step down. the white house does not think he should step down? >> the president said if allegations are true, he should step aside. the people want to decide for people across the country what they should be doing. the people of alabama are smart enough to make a decision. all this has been aired out before them. there is not secret information. it has been put out for them every day. what you all are covering nonstop. the people are smart enough to make a decision for themselves. >> the white house based on what you are saying is still if true then. on capitol hill, there is no if true then. they said he should get out. that is not your position? i guess the question is do you believe the women? >> i think he said roy moore's explanations have not been
9:28 am
satisfactory. we have said we campaigned against him. the president was clear in that. i think at this point we believe it is up to the people of alabama to make a decision. >> he's not speaking out because he didn't want him in the first place? >> the president has chosen a different candidate. he chose luther strange. >> do you think he has a moral obligation. >> do people want him to campaign for his opponent? >> let me get back to the al franken tweet where he talked about the al frankenstein pictures. because of his hands. we remember the "access hollywood" tape where he talked about what he did with his hands. grabbing a woman's crotch. do you see hypocrisy? >> he was apologetic about that. he apologized to his wife and family and the american people about what he considered locker room behavior. he is not trying to excuse it.
9:29 am
that's different than visual evidence than what al franken did. the president is making the case that al franken was condemning roy moore and others. there is a level of hypocrisy there. >> do you believe the white house's official position that the president's accusers because it's not just talk, there are sexual accusers and there are more than a dozen of them are lying? what do you think? >> the president has been clear that the allegations were not true. >> let's go to texas. republicans are touting this bill and rightly so as an important milestone. the first time tax reform has been done in two decades, but also say this big tax cut is for working families. the joint committee on taxation is bipartisan released a report saying americans earning between 10,000 and 30,000 would see a tax increase as soon as 2021.
9:30 am
t if the president ran and won. most making $75,000 a year or less would see tax increases. how do you explain the disparity? >> there is probably no more dishonest or misleading study than yesterday's. what the analysis said is because you are repealing obamacare, somehow you are going to pay more. only washington can come up with this explanation. you eliminate the tax and the taxes are increasing. it makes no sense. they are saying because you don't want to buy obamacare experience because it stinks and you are paying a tax for that. what the law allows is insurance companies and because those credits are no longer going to insurance companies, they are crediting the taxpayer who never received the dollars in the first place. it's a misleading study. before the mandate was included, that same committee affirmed that every income bracket would receive a tax cut.
9:31 am
this is the largest tax cut in american history. we are proud because it's something the american people need and focused on middle class working families. >> it's the largest tax cut in history and the president with house republicans -- he's a very good marketer and said he hopes they push it that way. just on the pure politics of this, what are you are an american who doesn't see a tax cut or even more specifically, a trump voter who hears him say you are getting a tax cut and you don't. that's politically perilous. >> average working family earning $50,000. $59,000 will receive $1,182 on tax relief from the plan. every income bracket will receive tax relief. people are cherry picking data for certain individual who is may be taking advantage of every deduction. we want to clean up the tax code. too many special interests have
9:32 am
fought for little pieces they can break apart. the cases for higher individuals perhaps hypothetically will get an increase. every bracket will see a decrease and every working family will see them. >> the tax bill and you are not shy about this will give a tax break to corporations and the idea there is that they would invest in american jobs and the american economy. i'm sure you saw that gary cohen was at an event, the chief economic adviser was at an event where people in the audience were asked if they would reinvest. listen to what happened. >> can i ask you all a quick question? if the tax reform bill goes through, do you plan to increase investment? a show of hands. the show of hands.
9:33 am
>> why aren't the other hands up? >> what we have seen already is at&t announced they will invest a billion dollars into america. many other companies are saying the same thing. i can't comment on that individual and the way the question was asked, but i have seen hard evidence of companies saying we are going to invest back in america. the data shows and what the president said, and american businesses. we are going from 25 to 20. there are manufacturing jobs that is in many cases with the american jobs move overseas. we are trying to bring them back. we want america to go back to work. >> one last question. the united states senate, do you feel confident that republicans will get the 51 votes needed? >> yeah. we are confident.
9:34 am
the senate finance committee voted 14-12 along party lines and continue to advance the process forward. the house had a great vote last night and we look forward to the week after thanksgiving to have it on the senate floor. thanks for having me. good to see you. >> before we let you go, breaking news on cnn about the health of reverend jesse jackson. the civil rights activist and two-time presidential candidate announced he is diagnosed with parkinson's disease. he made the announcement through the rainbow push coalition saying he began to notice changes about two years ago. for me it's not a stop sign, but a signal that i must make lifestyle changes and dedicate myself to physical therapy in hopes of slowing the disease's progress. the reverend jesse jackson is 76 years old. we'll be right back.
9:35 am
9:36 am
9:37 am
9:38 am
9:39 am
>> welcome back to inside politics. we just had a very interesting conversation with mark short, the white house director of legislative affairs on taxes. but also on the white house position on roy moore. i want to bring in around the table. mj, what was your reaction or analysis? >> i think it's remarkable that mark short restated the president's position on roy moore which is if these allegations are shown to be correct, then he should step aside. i think this really raises the question of how much more evidence are they looking for?
9:40 am
you look at the number of women who have spoken out and how closely these women's stories have been corroborate and by how many people. at this point it's not clear how many more people could come out with new stories or how many more people could corroborate these stories and keep in mind that the women who shared their stories have become a part of the political lead lines, but their stories are not fundamentally political. this made me think this was a mistake that al franken made yesterday. the first statement he put out was very short and it raised r lot of eyebrows because he said the things leanne is describing is not my recollection of what went down. he had to put out a much longer statement in which he said look, this is still not what i remember, but i recognize the importance of believing these women. >> i think it's fair the white house is in a political pickle
9:41 am
because there is no good path politically for them. taxes was also very interesting. as we mentioned tax reform freshly passed the house yesterday. the senate has their own plan. it is going too look different than the proposal that made it through the house. let's look at the areas where they don't agree. the question of the mandate. that's a biggie repealing the mandate and the deductions on whether the estate tax remains. these are major differences. there are many, many others. let's talk about that versus or in addition what mark short said about the way that the analysis is being received. of the senate bill. the non-committee on tax.
9:42 am
they make $75,000 or less. will they get an increase or cut? >> right there with mark short, you saw the perfect example of why some didn't want to add the mandate. it's going to complicate the message right here. there was a jct study that said the middle class will see the taxes increase in the senate bill and just six days ago, we saw the same committee come out with analysis that said they will have the winners and take one of the largest chunks of tax cuts. now we have the mandate in here. they have gone from sort of having the messaging to now the senate having to defend themselves. >> you still see the leadership.
9:43 am
listen to what the house majority whip said about that. we have passed repeal of the mandate in many different ways with full repeal. other bills we had in the house. they had trouble in the past. they believe they will make it easier and this score doesn't help. for the folks watching at home who are wondering, is there any independent analysis of any bill whether it's taxes or health care.
9:44 am
as they would otherwise have. if it wasn't taken away. that's why there is a problem for them. i think this analysis is not going to. >> hold that thought. we will take a quick break, but before we do. we want you to check out a moment from capitol hill rate last night. you might have missed it. check out how personal. the fight here for middle class and taxes and making sure they go down is getting even among senators. >> it would be nice before we go home to acknowledge this tax cut is not for the middle class and the rich. it's a good selling point. we know companies don't just give away the higher wages. they just don't give arks way hr
9:45 am
wages. i don't see the wages going up. spare us the bank shots and the sarcasm and the sat ire. >> i'm going to say to you that i come from the poor people. i have been working my whole stinking career for people who don't have a chance and i recent anybody saying i'm just doing this for the rich. give me a break. i think you guys overplay that all the time and it gets old. you ought to quit it. >> mr. chair, the public believes it. >> i'm not through. i get sick and tired of it. true, it's a nice political play. >> mr. chairman, with all due respect, i get sick and tired of the rich getting richer and richer and the middle class -- >> regular order. regular order. >> over and over again.
9:46 am
how many times do we do this before we learn? >> listen. i honored you by allowing you to spout off here. what you said was not right. that's all i'm saying. i come from the lower middle class originally. we didn't have anything. so don't spew that stuff on me. i get a little tired of that crap. let me just say something. if you didn't -- if we worked together, we can pull this country out of every mess it's in and a lot of things you are talking about too. i have a reputation of having worked together. >> let's start with chip. >> i'm not starting with chip. i have done it for years. >> start with chip today. >> i have more bills passed than anyone on this committee put together and they have been passed for the benefit of people in this country. all i can say is i like you personally very much, but i'm telling you this bull crap gets old after a while. to do it right at the end of
9:47 am
this is just not right. it takes a lot to get me worked up like this. ohhh. ooh ohh here we go, here we go. you got cut off there, what were you saying? oooo. oh no no. maybe that geico has been proudly serving the military for over 75 years? is that what you wanted to say? mhmmm. i have to say, you seemed a lot chattier on tv. geico. proudly serving the military for over 75 years. you ok back there, buddy?
9:48 am
accused of obstructing justice to theat the fbinuclear war, and of violating the constitution by taking money from foreign governments and threatening to shut down news organizations that report the truth. if that isn't a case for impeaching and removing a dangerous president, then what has our government become? i'm tom steyer, and like you, i'm a citizen who knows it's up to us to do something. it's why i'm funding this effort to raise our voices together and demand that elected officials take a stand on impeachment. a republican congress once impeached a president for far less. yet today people in congress and his own administration know that this president is a clear and present danger who's mentally unstable and armed with nuclear weapons. and they do nothing. join us and tell your member of congress
9:49 am
that they have a moral responsibility to stop doing what's political and start doing what's right. our country depends on it. ...has grown into an enterprise. that's why i switched to the spark cash card from capital one. now, i'm earning unlimited 2% cash back on every purchase i make. everything. what's in your wallet? you or joints. something for your heart... but do you take something for your brain. with an ingredient originally found in jellyfish, prevagen is the number one selling brain-health supplement in drug stores nationwide. prevagen. the name to remember. man's inner voice: why talking property taxes.ere? ♪ woah.
9:50 am
go over there! then, make a mountain out of that reddi-wip. i'm out. made with real cream. reddi-wip. instant greatification.
9:51 am
>> welcome back. this week a reckons of sorts for democrats. two decades later. the ugliness of what senator franken did and roy moore is accused of doing. the democrats mishandled accusations of misconduct against bill clinton and shamed his accusers and not only the
9:52 am
monica lewinsky scandal, but that happened when he was in the white house and several women who accused him of sexual assault before he was president. take new york senator gillibrand who sits in the seat held by hillary clinton. here she is at the democratic convention and listen to her now if she is asked if bill clinton should have resigned in the wake of the lewinsky affair. >> is it your view that the president should have stepped down at that time given the allegations? >> yes. i think that is the appropriate response. i think things have changed today and under those circumstances there should be a different reaction. in light of this conversation, we should have a different conversation about president trump and allegations against him. >> since that was nearly 20
9:53 am
years ago, here is just a taste of how the women and men of bill clinton's administration reacted. >> did any of the four of you think it must be addressed soon? >> i believe that the allegations are untrue. >> i think you were the only one besides me around this table who were aware. >> the first story i covered in january 1998. the monica lewinsky story broke and the view among democrats at the time was that clinton was the victim of a multimillion dollar investigation by kenneth star who the clinton administration and most democrats considered a zealot and out to destroy bill clinton. that colored the allegations against him. some echoes of what roy moore is saying in alabama when people
9:54 am
are tribal and partisan and it's easy to explain away accusations that seemed like they are coming from a person who is trying to destroy him politically. it's hard for the defenders to see the accuracy of the stories and most democrats at the time of the monica lewinsky scandal specifically would argue this was a consensual sexual relationship and did not rise to the level of impeachment and the perjury and obstruction of justice that flowed from that relationship were traps by the independent counsel. that was the view at the time. democrats as we have seen are really, really reassessing that. >> that was the lewinsky situation. there were other women who did not say it was consensual. >> prewhite house. >> yeah. it was people who were at the forefront whose names were synonymous with the women's lib movement.
9:55 am
feminism. gloria stein em. let me read to you what gloria said in april of 1998 in the "new york times." she said the truth is that even if the allegations are true, the president is not guilty of sexual harassment. he is accused of making a gross dumb pass at a low point in her life. she pushed him away and it never happened again. in other words, president clinton took no for an answer. >> i think that one of the other things that needs to be dealt with here is how clinton's aides and supporters treated these women. whether it was consensual or not. i think that is the difference between then and now. it is not acceptable, i think in many liberal circles to go after the accuser. just because you think that the allegations are untrue or because they were -- whatever
9:56 am
you think they were, when i was covering hillary clinton in 2016, this was such a huge issue for young women, they did not appreciate the past stories and they were uncomfortable with it and uncomfortable with her for that reason. no woman running in 2020 will ever be able to go for that. >> happy friday and happy friday to you as well. yawn ki john king is back and wolf blitzer is up after the break. ♪ of thoughts and ♪ wdreams that scatter ♪k
9:57 am
♪ you pull them all together ♪ and how, i can't explain ♪ oh yeah, well well well youuuu ♪ ♪ you make my dreams come true ♪ well, well, well youuuu topped steak & twisted potatoes at applebee's. eatin' good in the neighborhood.
9:58 am
9:59 am
10:00 am
lash sensational full fan effect mascara be sensational! from maybelline new york. our unique fanning brush reveals layers of lashes for the sensational full-fan effect. lash sensational mascara. make it happen ♪maybelline new york i'm wolf blitzer. wherever you are watching from around the world, thank you very much for joining us. we are following multiple stories including selective silence. president trump blasting senator al franken on the democrat's sexual harassment scandal, but silent on the multiple accusations against republican senate candidate roy moore. candidate roy moore, now the
left
right